Hi, my name is Laura, and I love to cook for family and friends. My daughter, Rachel, has severe food allergies. We don’t keep the foods that she is allergic to in our home, so many recipes must be modified for us to enjoy them together.
This is a recipe from my favorite cookbook, “Bakin’ Without Eggs”, by Rosemarie Emro. A wonderful resource for those with food allergies, or family members who have food allergies!
Waffles & Pancakes **Egg Free**
2 cups of unbleached all purpose flour
4 teaspoons of baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt optional
1/2 tsp. cinnamon (we added this because we like cinnamon!)
3 Tablespoons sugar
2 cups of buttermilk (I use 2%, and it works well)
4 Tablespoons of oil (or applesauce)
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract (optional)
butter-just enough to lightly coat waffle iron, or skillet if making this recipe for pancakes
- In a medium bowl combine flour, baking powder, salt & cinnamon (if used), and mix together before adding wet ingredients. Add milk, oil or applesauce, and vanilla.
- Pancake cooking directions: In a large skillet on medium heat, melt a small amount of butter and brown pancakes on both sides just as you would with any other pancake.
- Waffle Cooking Directions: Heat a non-stick waffle iron and follow griddle directions as you would for any other waffle. I find it helpful to go over the waffle grid very lightly with a small amount of butter to help prevent sticking.
* Soy milk can be substituted for the buttermilk if you cannot have dairy.
* Add 1/2 cup of blueberries, strawberries, peaches, or apples.
* Savory waffles make great breakfast sandwiches, omit the vanilla & cinnamon, and add 1/2 tsp. rosemary!
* These waffles freeze beautifully! The pancakes are a little trickier, so I don’t freeze them.
* Amazon carries the cookbook I mentioned above 🙂