Today I have a super easy craft for you. This craft only takes 5 minutes to create. I will show you how to create “No Sew Pillows.” That’s right…no sewing required! I always add a few decorative pillows to the bench on my front porch. I usually change out the pillows seasonally; actually I often change them out monthly. I try to coordinate my front door wreath and garden flag to my porch pillows. This no-sew option opens up quick and inexpensice porch changes. And another great thing about these DIY pillows is that the filling is made from recycling plastic grocery bags.
The main reason I like to make my own porch pillow cases is because I like to change them out frequently and it’s nice to store the casings flat; there just isn’t enough storage room for multiple stuffed pillows.
Supplies: Cloth Napkins, plastic bags, small plastic elastic bands. I had previously purchased these beautiful napkins from the World Market, https://www.worldmarket.com/
The steps for these DIY no-sew pillows is below:
1. Iron your cloth napkin.
2. Take one plastic grocery bag and begin filling it. Fill it very full and somewhat firm. I place the bag between my legs to keep it in a flatter shape.
3. Once full, make a double knot.
4. Flip the full bag upside down and place inside another empty bag. Tie shut.
5. Lay grocery bag pillow insert on top of the open napkin.
6. Lay a second napkin over the grocery bag pillow insert.
7. Use the plastic elastic band and pinch off and tie corner. If you don’t have an elastic band you can also use ribbon, just double knot to prevent slipping; twine looks great with these pillows.
8. Fold in back sides of napkin down. Wrap around front napkin to create a sealed seam. Fluff out cornered bunched material.
And your pillow is finished! This would also be great for covering those old porch pillows that have faded. You can give an old pillow a face lift! lol. The recycled grocery bag pillow insert is perfect for a porch due to damp weather conditions; there is no cotton stuffing to keep the pillow wet for prolonged periods and thus avoiding mildew and odors.
I love the pop color from these pillows on my porch! Craft on!
Check out this post for more information on porch pillows: http://brandyshappyhome.com/porch-pillows-with-recycling-grocery-bag-filling/ and here: http://brandyshappyhome.com/watermelon-porch-pillows/